Are You Safe Online?
This month, October 2018, marks the 15th year of National Cyber Security Awareness. This is a topic that everyone can learn more about. In today’s society, it is impossible to function without the internet. Whether at work or at home we are digitally connected. We use the internet to access our social media, emails, and information online. The internet has innumerable amount positives; it has created a new way to be connected to others as well as an unlimited source of information. Since we use the internet everyday it is important to know the risks that come with that kind of usage. Educating the public on cybersecurity and safe online practices is the goal of National Cyber Security Awareness Month.
Cybersecurity is invaluable source that allows us “to grow commerce, communications, community and content in a connected world”. It is the job of NCASM, which is the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the National Cyber Security Alliance, to create and constantly monitor the secure ways to access the internet. While there is NCASM, everyone has can take part in making cyberspace a safe place. What can we do exactly? According to NCASM, we can start by “implementing stronger security practices, raising community awareness, educating young people or training employees”. If we all recognize and do our part in increasing cybersecurity, together we will build a safer digital society.
Here are a few simple steps we all can do to stay safe online.
- Have more than one password, do not keep using the same password!
- Create complex passwords
- Use a firewall
- Install some form of cyber security onto your personal computers
- Do not click on pop-ups or ads
- Be smart with the information you share online and on your social media
- Practice safe and smart online shopping habits, if the site looks sketchy- it is.
- Keep up to date on new cybersecurity practices
- Spread cybersecurity awareness with your family, friends, and community
- Oct 16th, 5:30-9pm: ESL Registration
- Oct 18th, 10:30-12pm: Child Development Workshop
- Oct 20th, 12-3pm: First Day of Guitar
- Oct 26th, 5-8pm: Latinos Destinados A Truinfar Annual Conference